Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Barnes and Noble

So the other day I had to kill some time before getting my hair cut downtown. I decided to go to the Starbucks in the basement of the Pacific Place Barnes and Noble. Not really my prime hangout spot but I was hungry and the triple chocolate chunk cookie is sooooo good. Plus I wanted to read about Jon and Kate's recently publicized divorce and they have tons of magazines.
I was sitting at my table enjoying my "no water chai" when these two sketchy dudebros and this girl in her pjamas sat at the table next to me. Through some light eavesdropping I learned that she was pregnant and this was her second baby. I immediately began to "fake read" and only listen to their conversation:

Girl: Yeah the doctor says that there's a 25% chance that this kid will come out deaf.
Dudebro: I bet she will be deaf.
Girl: I dunno, there was a 50% chance that I would be deaf and I'm totally fine.
Dudebro: Still, I mean, you've already had one kid so...

What are the standard odds that someone will be born deaf? I got the feeling that for some reason this girl had higher odds than everyone else but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we should all be more worried that our children will be born deaf. Either way, I hope her baby is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment